- Do what you are supposed to do• Plan ahead
- Be diligent •Persevere
- Do your best• Use self-control • Be self-disciplined • Think before you act
- Be accountable for your words,actions, and attitudes
- Set a good example for others
CHALLENGE ACTIVITY-OCTOBER 2019
The “Challenge" Activity:
Special note: Please feel free to customize/modify any challenge to fit your grade-level needs.
1) Read the book, I Can Save The Earth
. Have an interactive conversation with your students related to the character trait of Responsibility. Click here for an online version
of the book.
2) Using the Sanford Harmony MeetUp/BuddyUp model, discuss & agree on a responsibility goal related to the book and have a discussion about the book’s theme using the Sanford Harmony MeetUp/BuddyUp model. When possible, check-in with your students throughout the month of October to see how they are putting to practice the trait of responsibility in their lives.
MeetUp: Established a class goal related to responsibility, such as, not to be late to school, sort your lunch trash into the right bins, do you best on assignments, follow the classroom rules/SOAR traits, etc., discussed and agreed on by the students during the MeetUp session.
BuddyUp: Pair/group students for a brief discussion on the goal. Here are some example “Quick connection” conversation questions:
- At the beginning of the story, what kinds of things did Max the Little Monster do to show he was NOT acting responsibly?
- What happened one night to make Max the Little Monster start acting more responsibly?
- What are some things Max noticed that he had not noticed before that night?
- How has Max changed from the beginning to the end of the story?
- How can we all be little “green” monsters?
Bonus Activity: Have the entire class be “little green monsters” and pick up trash for 10 minutes around the school. After reading and discussing the book, enter your name in the drawing for the SOARING eagle.
NEW...SignUpGenius: Lead a Flag Salute!
SOARing Teachers...please review the available slots below and click on the button to sign up your class to lead a Flag Salute presentation!
Create and share a 1-3 minute presentation on the trait of the month...Responsibility. It can be presented by the teacher, a student, a group of students, or the whole class and/or with a buddy class! Remind students to speak clearly and project their voices. Have fun & be creative!
- Share your Sanford Harmony Goal and how your class is achieving it
- Create a skit
- Share how someone in your class has demonstrated the monthly trait
- Sing a song
- Share a poster or activity
- Select a quote(s) related to the trait and interpret it
- Share an inspiring true story