Some trustworthiness traits include:
- Be honest
- Don’t deceive, cheat, or steal… if you find something that doesn’t belong to you, turn it in your teacher or the school office.
- Have the courage to do the right thing…if you see someone in trouble, get the help of a yard duty volunteer or a teacher
- Be reliable…do what you say you’ll do
- Build a good reputation…by doing your best on all things you do in school, sports, and your community
- Be loyal…stand by your family, friends, and countries
CHALLENGE ACTIVITY-SEPTEMBER 2019
The “Challenge" Activity:
Special note: Please feel free to customize/modify any challenge to fit your grade-level needs.
1) Read the book, The Empty Pot. Have an interactive conversation with your students related to the character trait of Trustworthiness. Click here for an online version
of the book.
2) Using the Sanford Harmony MeetUp/BuddyUp model, discuss & agree on a trustworthiness goal related to the book and have a discussion about the book’s theme, trustworthiness, using the Sanford Harmony MeetUp/BuddyUp model. When possible, check-in with your students throughout the month of September to see how they are putting to practice the trait of trustworthiness in their lives.
MeetUp: Established a class goal related to trustworthiness, such as, BE HONEST, BUILD A GOOD REPUTATION, BE RELIABLE, etc., discussed and agreed on by the students during the MeetUp session.
BuddyUp: Pair/group students for a brief discussion on the goal. Here are some example “Quick connection” conversation questions:
- What did Ping do that was different from the other children?
- Why was Ping nervous to bring his empty pot to the Emperor?
- How were the other children acting?
- Why did the Emperor choose Ping instead of any of the other children to become the next Emperor?
- How did Ping show trustworthiness?
- How do you show trustworthiness at school? At home? With your friends?
NEW...SignUpGenius: Lead a Flag Salute!
SOARing Teachers...please review the available slots below and click on the button to sign up your class to lead a Flag Salute presentation!
Create and share a 1-3 minute presentation on the trait of the month...Trustworthiness. Can be presented by the teacher, a student, a group of students, or whole class and/or with a buddy class! Remind students to speak clearly and project their voices. Have fun & be creative!
- Share your Sanford Harmony Goal and how your class is achieving it
- Create a skit
- Share how someone in your class has demonstrated the monthly trait
- Sing a song
- Share a poster or activity
- Select a quote(s) related to the trait and interpret it
- Share an inspiring true story